Claris FileMaker reviews

Sacha
  • Sector: Verzekeringen
  • Bedrijfsgrootte: 201-500 werknemers

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 9.0 /10

Immediate development results from renowned multi-platform suite

Beoordeeld op 4-12-2018

Multi-platform deployment of a single code base, company-wide policy administration for internal and online-accounts - benefits are large system changes immediately testable within instantly-deployed self-contained environments for advanced automation and on-the-fly user interface updates.

With a free trial, and a willingness to try a development system that focuses (though is not limited to) linear steps, you can experience truly productive results significantly faster than web-based systems, without compromising deployment options - a really flexible and hugely enjoyable development environment!

Pluspunten

Instant compilation & execution of syntax-free code, visually-based object-linking / selection, immediate UI changes, plug-in and web-service extensibility, multi-platform deployment of single code-base solutions, from desktop to web and mobile.

Minpunten

Cost is the only consideration when recommending, though in comparison to other systems, it offers better value, just would benefit from a lower entry-level option for people to discover its power.

Phil
Phil
  • Sector: Computersoftware

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

One of my very favourite products!

Beoordeeld op 6-1-2022

I developed several applications for clients using FM. It was a pleasure to use and the solutions I provided were reasonably complex. I have successfully created custom apps such as scheduling, billing, quoting and testing. These apps were created for Plumbing & Heating, Optometry and a College.

Pluspunten

The simplicity to create applications from scratch is my fav feature. I was up and running quickly and producing quality applications in no time. I just enjoy using FileMaker!

Minpunten

There is always room for improvement and I would suggest the developer GUI could use some work. While I find it simple to use, for the most part, there are a couple of areas that might be improved.

• Sector: Entertainment
  • Wekelijks 1+ jaar lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 0.0 /10

Harrassing

Beoordeeld op 3-3-2023

Pluspunten

It's okay. Nothing else to say, really.

Minpunten

They are harrassing. They quoted for a service two years ago that we paid for and since stopped using. Being international, they seem to have missed the payment two years ago. Their emails asking for payment are completely blank emails from a suspicious email address, with an attachment. No name, no account number, not even a signature panel. Obviously, I thought they were spam/viruses and so never opened them. So I only found out they were asking for the money when they called over a year after they first started asking for the money. I then engaged them, told them how odd their invoice emails were, provided payment info, went above and beyond to try and show them that I had paid. Eventually, they agreed and sent me an email saying the issue was resolved.They then sent those blank emails a couple more times and today started threatening to send the account to debt collectors.This is absurd. I don't owe them money and they admitted it!

Matthew
Matthew
  • Sector: Publiceren
  • Bedrijfsgrootte: 201-500 werknemers

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 9.0 /10

Flexible database app for simple to complex needs

Beoordeeld op 8-12-2018

Initially we just wanted to convert our old and outdated database system over to FileMaker, but once others in the company saw the flexibility and ease of use of FileMaker, it's use has greatly increased throughout my company. It's seen a lot of use replacing MS Excel-based "systems", where users have just slapped together a bunch of messy Excel files in a confusing way without any help from IT. These Excel "systems" are growing, causing problems, and then are being replaced by FileMaker databases with great success.

Pluspunten

I like that FileMaker is simple to learn (and to keep learning), with tons of resources available online including their own forums. Between youtube videos and some paid Lynda.com courses I feel very confident I can develop quality database solutions for my company. It's great software and I actually enjoy working with it.

Minpunten

The recent pricing structure change for version 17 file has me concerned about the direction FileMaker might be taking. So we've held onto version 16 for now and will be waiting to upgrade. Other than concerns about pricing I don't have anything else bad to say about it.

Gary
Gary
  • Sector: Schoolleiding

More than a database

Beoordeeld op 12-9-2018

I've used FileMaker to create everything from a personal time management system to an online volunteer registration database. If you can imagine it, you can build it.

Pluspunten

The FileMaker platform combines robust database management with a slick interface for designing a pleasant end-user experience. With some little training, a developer can become quite competent at creating a complete solution. With more experience and training, there's little that CAN'T be done with the system.

Minpunten

I have to say it; the least favorable piece of the system is its pricing structure. It's pricey to use for anything but medium to large scale deployment. Small businesses might find the cost prohibitive, and developers working for small organizations might not be able to produce solutions that are cost effective for their clients. You get a lot of horsepower, but it comes at a price.

Tamas Hunor
Tamas Hunor
  • Sector: (Bioscoop)films

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 8.0 /10

Awesome tool for our rentalhouse

Beoordeeld op 28-8-2020

I can't imagine an another tool that is so helpful for us. As a developer/user I can easily fix a lot of things on the fly while I am working. Not the best thing, but for small and annoying corrections it's ok. (Like layout fixes)
There are a lot of tutorials and learning materials online. It helps us to save hours and hours every day.

Pluspunten

Filemaker gives us a really easy to develop environment. You can start with a blank canvas, sketch up something, use it, and refine it. Even if it called low code, you can do a lot of advanced things.

Minpunten

I wish I can have more help from the support. Our company wants to step up and invenst into this platform. Maybe I should reach out the awesome community instead of our direct contact.
We had troubles connecting different kind of databases to our current solution. You have to really know what are the limitation of the software.

• Sector: Design en ontwerp
  • Bedrijfsgrootte: 501-1.000 werknemers

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 9.0 /10

FileMaker solved many problems with our production workflow

Beoordeeld op 5-2-2019

We solved workflow problems with our business. Now all stakeholders can view the status of any project, and be alerted of changes. Requests (job tickets) are easy to manage and assign to a lead. Searching for past projects is now a click away, versus our exceedingly large Excel sheets from the past.

Pluspunten

I find the customization of FileMaker to be the key to its success. With some software development knowledge, I can set it up how I'd like it and maintain it for a low overall cost. In my company we specifically used a FileMaker development company to build out our custom system, which cut all the paper out of our workflow, and cut out unnecessary data re-entry. A huge time saver.

Minpunten

If you have no developing knowledge, you may be left to use an out of the box solution, which might not be exactly applicable to your situation. Also, it seems like it is difficult to do certain email things on Mac with Outlook. Things like click-through links back to the FileMaker system from an email notification.

• Sector: Verzekeringen

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 5.0 /10

Decent Program if you have a company to set it up for you

Beoordeeld op 15-10-2019

This is a good program if you have a company or person dedicated to setting it up, creating your applications, and forms. Filemaker support is very minimal and you have to look at hiring an outside vendor familiar with FileMaker to help with the set up and addition of new things. The price is excellent for this as is, but start adding in the support you need and the cost to add new things or make changes, it starts getting up there if you make a lot of changes. We are in the process of switching over to another product that does have a monthly fee, but 100% supported and no additional charge every time we need to add a new application.

Pluspunten

Options to choose font, color, formatting (test only, currency, etc). Ease of use for existing forms

Minpunten

Making any changes to existing applications/forms and adding new ones. Almost have to have a computer programming degree

• Sector: Vastgoed
  • Bedrijfsgrootte: 501-1.000 werknemers

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 6.0 /10

Claris FileMaker for Business

Beoordeeld op 15-7-2022

FileMaker can do the job. It is flexible and adaptable. There are other easier to learn, cleaner, and modern database solutions out there that don't require specific certification courses to learn the nuances of.

Pluspunten

This software gets the job done. You can create databases and stores and more with this software; it's very flexible.

Minpunten

This database solution was by far the hardest software I've had to learn how to use. Frequently our company had to hire consulting companies to manage our legacy databases after our lead designer left the team.

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 9.0 /10

It is so flexible and easy to customise.

Beoordeeld op 12-12-2017

We use it to track over 10,000 clients. We have previously tried customised software but this has been the most reliable.

Pluspunten

It is so easy to add new fields and reports. It's reliable, fast to load and works on both PC and Mac.

Minpunten

As with all software these days, it's hard to get a direct answer from customer support. New versions don't support all the features we are using. New versions don't support our current setup.

• Anders 2+ jaar lang gebruikt

Filemaker Pro Developer for many years

Beoordeeld op 24-7-2018

Pluspunten

Filemaker Pro allows you to prototype and built database production grade applications fast. The nicest thing about Filemaker Pro is that you built the database structure, scripts and layouts in the same application. Building lay outs is as easy as drag and drop and doesn't require extensive design skills or knowledge of secondary technologies such as HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Personally I think anyone who's willing to dedicated some time for training is able to become a Filemaker Developer. Another nice thing is that database applications can easily be integrated with mobile platforms.

Filemaker applications can be hosted online (cloud), on premise on Filemaker Server and locally on the Filemaker client. The applications that I've build with Filemaker run for 10+ years already on a Filemaker Server multi site environment and is in use by 25+ people on a daily basis.

Filemaker is regularly updated (major versions usually once a year) which introduces new features. These updates make Filemaker better each round, for instance the latest upgrade introduces sensory perception for IOS devices and a new administration console.

Finally, the development and implementation costs of Filemaker Pro applications are very low compared to enterprise database solutions making it really attractive for SMB. The licensing is server and client based and there is also a subscription based license to be paid annually.

Minpunten

The pros of Filemaker Pro heavily outweigh its cons but here is a few:
- Performance of applications is nowhere as good as that of enterprise solutions, especially when multiple clients from different sites connect to an on premise hosted server.
- Filemaker has its own scripting engine, which is pretty good, but some functions/operations can be a bit difficult to implement due to its limitations which is easier in SQL.

David
  • Sector: Management non-profit organisaties

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Easy, powerful do it yourself solution

Beoordeeld op 14-11-2018

I have used FileMaker for 22 years and am continually impressed with its evolution. It has leap-frogged passed Access as a "home database" and now competes with top-level professional data solutions. FileMaker Go is a pleasure to use. I have built my own Contacts solution that is years ahead of anything in the iOS app store. I wish a customer portal could be built to make dealing with support issues easier. The single biggest request, an Android version, falls on deaf ears; likely because FileMaker is owned by Apple Inc.

Pluspunten

The FileMaker platform (desktop, server, cloud, FileMaker Go mobile app) is lightyears in simplicity ahead of Microsoft Access - which I often hear as the "go-to do it yourself" solution. FileMaker is ridiculously simple to use, especially when using a built-in starter solution. FileMaker scales to almost enterprise levels of use. The scripting functionality make creation of custom apps (no longer called "solutions") a very quick affair. FileMaker works with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and the iOS FileMaker Go App. Pricing is very reasonable considering all it does.

Minpunten

Development of the platform usually runs slower than emerging technologies can be incorporated. There is no Android version of the mobile app. The web app is an acceptable solution for simple solutions, but usually not a good option for apps using complex scripting. Support can be challenging. There is no customer portal to manage keys and payment information.

Jeff
  • Sector: Informatietechnologie en -diensten

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Powerful database system with easy to learn/use interface, but also powerful development...

Beoordeeld op 8-6-2017

The feature I enjoy most is the capability to use the product cross platform. I have a Windows 10 PC running at my desk, I use an Apple MacBook Pro on the road, along with my iPad where ever, and FileMaker gives me the ability to use my database applications on all those platforms.

Pluspunten

Import your Excel spreadsheet, place a few fields on a form, within minutes you have created a user interface as a starting point for what can become a very powerful business application. Using the database manager, you can create links between data tables quickly and visually. Cross platform capable! Run the application on a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, or use a web interface (requires the server product). Once you start using this product, and it becomes an integral part of your business operation, you can either teach yourself the advanced features, or hire a consultant to help you out as there is a very strong developer community. The development language is a easy to learn scripting language.

Minpunten

FileMaker still struggles to gain acceptance in IT departments, and yet it is a legitimate application development environment with very powerful capabilities.

Michael
  • Sector: Rechtspraktijk

My Most Valuable Tool

Beoordeeld op 5-12-2020

Excellent customer support and a vast library of online k knowledge and solutions.

Pluspunten

I have been using FileMaker since probably 1988. That would be 32 years. It is the most valuable tool in my office. I can easily create a database to manage specific information. I have databases I set up early on that I still use. I created a time and billing program when Macs still ran on system 9, and it has worked ever since with no modifications. I have been using FileMaker in court to win cases since the first Apple laptop computer. Kf you want command of your information, FileMaker is the tool to help you do it.

Minpunten

1. It does not work well with Adobe Acrobat. When I import pdf's I am unable to annotate them or even highlight passages.
2. FileMaker server requires ports used for web hosting. I had to set up my website host computer at a separate location. I am sure I could have found a workaround, but that is beyond my ability.

Stephanie
  • Sector: Evenementenbureaus

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 4.0 /10

It Works, but is it the best?

Beoordeeld op 18-12-2018

If you're looking for an all in one platform, this isn't my first choice. Honestly, it's probably not in the top five for me. If you're looking for a database management software for tracking customers, sending invoices and proposals, and software you can update as your company grows, this is great. You'll probably need something better in the long run, but it's a good start.

Pluspunten

The ease of creating forms and spreadsheets for data tracking with this software was pretty great. We used this mainly in our event planning business and I didn't really have a complaint. You can tell the program what information you need and it will track it and input what ever you've indicated you need it to input. It definitely depends on user input and you have to take the time to ensure your databases are updated. If you do that, you won't have a problem.

Minpunten

The only real aspect I didn't like was that there was no workflow type tracking. As our business grew, this is something we desperately needed, but it was never marketed to us as such, so I can't really complain about this. If you're looking for an all in one platform, this wouldn't be my first choice.

Aaron
Aaron
  • Anders 2+ jaar lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 3.0 /10

What was so elegant got so messy

Beoordeeld op 12-2-2021

We used FileMaker for dozens of business processes over many years. But year by year it got more difficult to keep up with it's upgrades and changes. Finally, we abandoned it for a mix of integrated special-purpose tools that do what we want.

Pluspunten

I used to like FileMaker, it was easy to use but powerful. As it evolved it got complex and confusing. It requires a computer scientist to figure out how to use it now.

Minpunten

It requires a computer scientist to figure out how to use it now. What was simple and intuitive became complicated and confusing.

Overwogen alternatieven

Airtable en Microsoft Excel

Antwoord van Claris

Hi Aaron, thank you for your feedback. Our customers are very important to us so we have shared your notes with our product team. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer care specialists at [email protected].

• Sector: Management non-profit organisaties

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 0.0 /10

Obsolete Database Software - Stay Away!

Beoordeeld op 9-2-2022

Pluspunten

We were sold on how customizable it would be...

Minpunten

Everything. First, this system is obsolete and no one uses it. Second, it is extremely difficult to make any changes or adjustments to our custom database. It’s not intuitive, it’s not “pretty” and it’s clunky and gives errors often.

Scott
  • Sector: Computersoftware
  • Bedrijfsgrootte: Zelfstandig ondernemer

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Claris FileMaker is perfect for beginner to Advanced database and application developer

Beoordeeld op 9-2-2023

From its first relational version, FileMaker Pro 3, our experience has gotten better and better with more feature and more developers creating add-on features to extend the software's functionality and deployment.

Pluspunten

Every new version of Claris FileMaker has improved its feature set as an easy to use relational database. The Scripting environment has become easier with type-along assistant and the ability to cut and paste code between calculation ans scripts in other databases. The ability to quickly deploy the software in a browser has made it an extremely versatile application.

Minpunten

There is no true runtime client engine for a networked solution. Separating the user interface from the data in the same file is not possible.

Tony
Tony

FileMaker: The Only Easy-To-Use Solution for SOHO

Beoordeeld op 26-2-2021

FileMaker currently runs my event business, and for 20 years ran my publishing business. I have FMP scripts that export structured data like white pages listings and vendor listings. These scripts have run, with little modification for decades—that says a lot.

Pluspunten

FileMaker works right out of the box as a relational database that can run the back end of your business. Doctors, shopkeepers and consultants can all benefit from using FileMaker. It's powerful yet, simple to use.

Minpunten

Over the years, the licensing of FMP has progressively gotten worse. If I could find another solution, I would. Believe me, I have looked. I return to FMP because I can develop sophisticated solutions myself, or with the help of a seasoned developer.

Shannon

Easy to learn

Beoordeeld op 21-12-2017

FileMaker is a great platform to build applications that you can't find anywhere else. You can make an application easily that is perfect for what you need. There are many videos and documents online to help you learn specific features and structures in order to make it perform the way you envisioned. If you know how to write formulas in Excel then you will pick up FileMaker pretty easily.

Pluspunten

Very easy to learn as you go.
Very forgiving while you learn.
Very little limitations.
Can work with ipads and iphones for the people out in the field as will as back office computers.

Time consuming.
Does not work with Androids.
Once you do one application then it turns into two then three and it never stops.

Julia
  • Sector: Hoger onderwijs
  • Bedrijfsgrootte: 10.000+ werknemers

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 7.0 /10

Claris FileMaker SaaS

Beoordeeld op 28-4-2021

Used FileMaker for decades for two departments. Conservative users didn't want to convert to a more advanced system. Transition to the hosted solution is a time, money, management saver.

Pluspunten

Serves well the client that are used to it and non-technical. If you use FileMaker go for SaaS - reasonably priced, easy to transition, easy to manage.

Minpunten

Limited functionality, but serves well for what it is used by specific departments. Would prefer to use the same DB system as the rest of the college.

Hannah
  • Sector: Medische apparatuur

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 6.0 /10

Gets the job done

Beoordeeld op 5-5-2022

My group uses FileMaker to database thousands of devices. It gets the job done but there's probably much better options out there.

Pluspunten

The software is reliable enough that I have access to what I need and is pretty customizable. I like the new barcode add on (though it's functionality leaves a lot to be desired).

Minpunten

We've had issues with OS compatibility and some of the features are overly complicated to implement. Our database could be much better with very thorough customization but it would take an annoying amount of effort to get there.

Michi
  • Wekelijks 2+ jaar lang gebruikt

Custom Database Solution

Beoordeeld op 8-8-2019

In our business we use FileMaker not only for us, but, we help clients customize their solutions. We love being able to custom tailor a solution and design the layouts and user interface to fit our needs. Custom, custom, custom is all I have to say. We have used it for CRM, accounting and custom solutions that can also integrate nicely with the web.

Pluspunten

I have been utilizing this software for almost 10 years now. The best part of FileMaker is the ability to customize your database to suit your needs. However, you do need knowledge on how databases work in order to customize. I love being able to design my own layouts, injecting my own design and workflow into the user interface.

Minpunten

Personally I don't see cons, however, for someone who is looking for an out of the box solution, you can find some starter solutions, but without development skills, you would need to hire a developer to help you customize a solution to suit your individual business needs.

Anita
  • Sector: Recreatieve faciliteiten en diensten
  • Wekelijks 6-12 maanden lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Best Database Since DBMaster for the Apple IIe!

Beoordeeld op 7-3-2018

Simplified workflow. Better contact organization. Email from application. Best record keeping product. Ease of use.

Pluspunten

Fairly simple to use. Relational database so that we can keep track of lots of different transactions and contacts etc. The best part is that there are many pre-canned solutions to get you started on using the product right away. Makes workflow simple, fast and easy. It is a very powerful database that can be used in so many ways yet doesn't take up much real estate on the computer. I worked on the DB Master platform for several years and it was so easy, this one is also easy to use once it is setup, but to set it up there are many steps. Once it is set up the sky is the limit for reporting, calculations and even using it as a POS system!

Minpunten

Must write scripts and lots of code to make it do what I needed it to do, so I ended up hiring a consultant to do the work for us. It was expensive but will pay off with a simpler workflow. Setting it up for your specific needs can be daunting and cumbersome. I would suggest taking a class, looking at training videos and also having a programming background to use it to its full potential.

William
  • Sector: Informatietechnologie en -diensten

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

I have been using FileMaker for more than 20 years. I was initially attracted to its ease of...

Beoordeeld op 8-6-2017

I do everything with this software. It runs my business, tracks my customers, prepares my invoices, tracks my personal library, displays my work portfolio, handles our family history website, etc.

Pluspunten

Ease of use. As a non-programmer, I was able to make cool applications for my personal and hobby use. Now as a developer it is my number one tool of choice for creating business automation software.

Minpunten

It has some aspects of interface which are unique to its brand, and usage of the web interface version is not quite up to par yet.